Wednesday, 5 March 2014

3 Ways To Save Money On Your Grocery Bill

Things have changed a lot for my family in the last 2 years.  We went from having two full time incomes, to myself going on maternity leave and receiving EI benefits and than down to just weekends now that I am back at work.  All of this has taken a huge toll on our wallets and we have gone from being able to spend freely to having to watch just about every penny we spend.  This includes our grocery bills and I have a few ways that I do this.

  1. Coupons are a great way to save money and there are so many sources for you to get them; websites, coupon trains, as your walking around the store you may spot them and even calling or emailing your favorite brands may get you some.  Any amount will do.  I save any and all coupons that I come across, regardless of if I use the brand or not.  You never know when a good deal may come up that you can get that product for free or trade it for one that you really want.
  2. Stick to a list.  Stop the impulse buying if it's not on your list than chances are you don't need it so unless it's free, don't buy it.  Too often I have been a victim to buying something that I thought was a good deal just because it was on sale.  Although I may use it eventually I don't need it at that time, so technically I am not saving money on that grocery bill.
  3. Say YES to No Name products.  Before I moved out on my own and though that money grew on trees I was very against anything that was not brand name.  Since I have started buying my own groceries I have learned that their is nothing wrong with no name brands or store brands as some may call it.  Be careful and make sure that you price compare because no name does not always equal cheaper.
How do you save money on your grocery bill?

25 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I always read the flyers before I go shopping to help with my list. I also have a list (in my head) of everyday items that we use. So, if they happen to go on sale and it isn't in the flyer, I pick one or two up. Every few shopping trips, I check to make sure that I don't have 43 mustards :)

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look at the flyers too it helps to know what can and cannot wait due to price. Thanks for the extra tips Sarah!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I had to learn how to say yes to no name brands too. But watch for sales, because sometimes brand names on sale are cheaper than no names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I love my coupons and I stick to my list no matter what. It is so important to save in all the little ways (coupons, price matching, etc..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips and easy to implement. I've learned coupons and sticking to lists goes a long way. I have no problem buying generic on some things.

    Thanks for sharing with my Small Victories Sunday linky. Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the other word I was looking fit 'generic'. Thanks for sharing and stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I am a flyer watcher. Every week I study my flyers to find the best deals on the things I need. It makes a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I usually try to shop where the best deals are. If I'm lucky I will go from one place to the next but I don't drive do hubby has to chaffeur me around.

      Delete
  6. I don't use coupons as often as I'd like. I could probably stick to my list if I didn't shop with the family with me. And I love buying No Name brand. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping with the kids and even the hubby sometimes can definitely get distracting. When I can I leave them at home.

      Delete
  7. Love the list.I do all 3 thing as well. With 3 kids to feed, when my husband was laid off it was time to buckle down. I have never stopped clipping coupons since. To me it is worth the effort to clip them and use them especially with internet coupons now a days!
    Stopping by from the Small Victories Sunday Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet coupons scare me... I've heard that some places don't accept them.

      Delete
  8. I have the same motto! It's hard not to impulse buy when you used to be able to, but such is life.. I am now an avid store name buyer. I grew up in a home where all we ate was brand name, so I had the mindset of "ew" to store brands. In reality, most of the stuff is the same.. except for some things (like paper-towels and peanut butter!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I agree and ketchup it has to be Heinz!

      Delete
  9. One thing that I do is make a meal plan up ahead of time, then the shopping list of things I need to buy for those meals. That helps me stick to a list and not impulse buy! I also just signed up for a coupon class...not sure hat it's going to teach me but I figured what the heck, maybe I'll learn something and possibly make some new connections as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd love to go to a coupon class. I know a little bit about couponing but there are so many rules that I never know if I'm doing it right. This would definitely be helpful!

      Delete
  10. Great tips! I am so happy that many flyers can be viewed online (no more paper clutter!). It really helps with meal planning, which is my best tip (after your three!). Meal planning can be such a help because nothing gets wasted and I can double up meals and freeze them when certain ingredients go on sale! I also enjoy apps like Checkout51 for extra savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to meal plan and I am such a 'on-the-spot' decision maker that I find I never cook what I say I'm going to. I get a craving for something and get steered away quite quickly.

      As for Checkout51, I have downloaded but have yet to use it... I'm hoping soon because it looks like a great app!

      Delete
  11. I'm not very good with coupons, but I do shop sales for items I need. Also have found that it is cheaper to "shop around"...going to stores that have what you want on sale rather than sticking faithfully to one store. Careful how you buy in bulk too, those prices Jump up at you when you are least expecting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look at the store coupons and try to by everything for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love these tips been using coupons for years my problem though is always sticking to a list

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this idea! we never buy brand name unless its on sale or I have a coupon!

    ReplyDelete