Everyone is always talking about what steps, tips or items are needed for making back to school an easy transition for our children, but what about us... they are not the only ones who get stressed out at this time because they don't have enough of something or can't remember some of the basics that they've learned the year before. So do we, except ours is doubled because it's not just our own that we are thinking of but theirs and how we can help them. Which is why I have compiled a list of my must-haves 'parent back to school items' to help the school year run smoothly for me.
1. A Calendar - Whether it's my phone or my actual agenda book, I know that I am always going to need something to help me keep all of the inservice days, events and appointments for both, him and my youngest in order.
2. A Schedule - This does not mean the same as number 1, in fact this goes back to a routine mentioned at the beginning of this post. About a week before, so tomorrow, we will be starting our bedtime (his not mine, I only wish) at 8 pm and waking up at 7 am, I am really hoping that this will give us enough time to eat, brush teeth, get dressed and be at the bus stop by 7:45 am. Did I mention that my son is not a morning person? Neither am I for that matter, but I am hoping that the 'practice' before hand will change that.
3. A Cheque Book - I know that my sons school is always asking for money, not that I mind because I totally don't... I just know what it's like for the field trip form to be due and to not have any cash on hand. Prepare yourself and make sure you have enough, if not make sure to order them, you never know when there may be a fundraiser or even a hot lunch that you want your child to be a part of. I know my cheque book was a lifesaver on a few occasions last year.
4. Snacks - I don't know about you but my son is a bear after school, he comes home all grumpy and basically I can not talk to him until he's had something to eat (kinda like me in the morning before my coffee). When I think after school snack, I think of one that has been around since the beginning of time, milk and cookies... Not just any kind of cookies though, they've got to be Rich Product's Our Specialty Nut-Free Frosted Cookies. Since I've tried these melt in your mouth sugar cookies I am hooked, for starters they are not to sweet, even the icing has just the perfect amount to cure my sweet tooth, not to give it an ache. They are so pretty to look at that my almost 2 year old thinks it's a birthday cake, I know this because he sings "Happy Birthday" every time i give him one.
The best part of Rich Products is that they are committed to becoming the leading nut-free cookie povider, with their line of classic and frosted cookies. It took them nearly 2 years to develop a line of 100% peanut and tree-nut free cookies to ensure high quality and a great tasting treat. Each package is clearly labeled to add peace of mind to parents, teachers and anyone else who may be interested in there product.
Did you know that more than 50% of moms have received warnings or guidelines from their child's school regarding nut allergies. Last year I became one of those statistics, a little boy in my sons class was/is allergic to peanuts so anything that we brought for snack time or a treat for the class had to be peanut-free. I was amazed to see how many products are not clearly marked... Each package from Rich Products is clearly labeled to add peace of mind to parents, teachers and anyone else who may be interested in there delicious cookies.
5. Learning Tools - Everyone can use a little bit of help in continuing the education that our children are getting at school, whether they are from flash cards, a desktop computer or even a robot. Yes, I said a robot, one that is controlled by an app on your phone... just like Sphero. I have to admit until I received one of these I really didn't even know very much about it, I still don't on account that my children will not let me try it out, all I get to do is sit back in the side lines and watch them have fun with it. I have officially named them The Sphero Hogs.
I'll tell you what I do know though... Sphero not only creates toys that are connected but by blending technology with robotics, the toys teach and inspire our little future inventors. The company has created the SPRK - Schools, Parents, Robot, Kids Program which allows you to download free lessons to sharpen their skills in programming, math and science. I know my boys are both still a little young to be thinking about programming or even any career in general but my oldest has expressed an interest in `video game making'. I know, right? Probably, every little boys dream but it's not a bad one. If I can help him along by building a foundation with Sphero to reach his dream, I'm gonna start as young as I can.
6. Memory Keeper - One of the greatest things, I think that I got to do last year, was go with my son and his classmates on his first trip to the farm. My phone was fully charged and ready to go but by the end of our visit, which in reality was only about 4 hours in total, my phone was completely dead and I didn't even talk on it or text once, it was just from all the pictures I took. I don't know what I would do if I lost them and I know that this year will be full of more memories that I am going to want to be able to save and keep nearby.
Lyve along with the free app, is the only cross platform that will bring all of your photo memories together. It collects, protects and rediscovers photos you didn't even know you had still stored on your different devices and puts them all in one place, making them easily accessible. Can't remember which file you put those first day of kindergarten photos... no problem because LyveHome automatically finds and organizes them for you, letting you relive those wonderful experiences all over again.
I'm sure throughout the years as I get more experienced my list may change, most likely adding not deleting anything but for this year, these are my 6 must-haves for back to school. For more tips like this take a look at the PTPA Back To School Guide.
I'd love to hear from you... do you have anything that you rely or depend on year after year?
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Back to School Brand Ambassador Program with Sphero, Lyve and Rich Products. I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”