Wednesday, 20 August 2014

How to Clean Your Kids Closet

I swear everytime I ask my son to clean his room, it's like a tornado has come through it and blown everything into his closet.  To be honest, I can't really blame him, he has way too much stuff and doesn't know where to put it all...  heck, even I get overwhelmed when I'm in there trying to find a place for everything.  However, it was starting to get to the point where I couldn't open the closet for fear that something would fall or even worse...  jump out at me.  It was time to get his closet back to how it's supposed to look and not like the local garbage dump.


Two stressful hours, a lot of patience and some help from the folks at Organize It, I finally managed to get it back to normal with these simple steps and organizing tools.

Take it ALL out - I didn't dare try and put anything away with out first examining the situation fully.  I took everything out of the closet including the clothes.

Make piles for the clothes - Too big, too small, just right, outfits...  I admit my kids get clothes a size ir two too big for their birthdays, Christmas...  and just to get them out of the way I throw them in the closet, some of the time never to be seen again until they've grown out of it...  During my cleaning spree, I put the clothes that are too big and the ones that are too small into two separate storage bins, one that my oldest has grown out of but my youngest will grow into and the other bin whose fate will be decided upon at a later date, I took them and stuck them both into storage...  Out of sight, out of mind.  I hung up the matching outfits I managed to find, using the Kids Wood Clothes Hangers With Clips, I love that they are adjustable making it easier to hang pants of ANY size (for children, of course) without stretching them.  I will never have to search for a top or pair of pants again and for this, I am thankful.


Throw out the garbage - Do they play with it?  Is it stained? Is something growing out of it?  If you answered "No" to the first two and "Yes" to the last one, just get rid of it.  I threw away two garbage bags full of stuff, just from that tiny little closet.  Chances are if it's in there, it's been forgotten and there was never any sentimental value in the first place, so they will not miss it.  Also I can't be the only one who uses what she has on hand when it comes to putting stuff away, that includes cardboard boxes, which is fine but they can get pretty banged up sometimes and that means it's time to move on.

Get proper storage - Did you ever notice that the bottom of the closet is usually just a place to store things?  I mean who really puts anything useful at the bottom of their closet?  Umm, we do...  now!  The bottom of my son's closet is now the home to a Denier Eyelet Storage Tote and Four Interlocking Wire Storage Cubes, which I have to add I put together all by myself,  I didn't even ask my husband for any help.  It took a little longer that I would have liked, but that was only because I had decided to skip ahead and not bother with the instructions, which meant that I put the plastic connectors on wrong, plus my toddler wanted to play the 'throw something in the cube while mommy is still trying to put it together and cry for her to get it out' game...  fun for him, not for me.


The storage cubes are versatile and can be used in many different ways - stacked on on top of the other, side by side, individually, or how I used them, two on the top and two on the bottom with one being a basket, fitting perfectly under the hanging clothes. The tote fits perfectly on top of the storage cubes and the metal eyelets make it easy for him to lift when he wants to play with what's inside.

Find a home for everything - If you haven't thrown it out or put it into storage, it needs to be put away neatly.  With the Four Interlocking Wire Storage Cubes my son now has a spot for those stray balls, his board games are easily accessible for him and his 'superhero bases' are neatly put away. I have no worries that when he picks his mega bloks to play with, the bottom of the cardboard box they were in will give out and everything will fall to the ground, leaving a huge mess because the Denier Eyelet Storage Tote is made with a sturdy fiberboard and polyester lining plus it's much more pleasing to the eye than cardboard with chunks taken out of it.


I'm not sure how long the closet is going to stay as clean as it is and I definitely don't want to show you what the room looked like once the closet was all clean, that is another day and another post entirely.  Next step clean the bedroom...  Wish me luck!

*Disclosure - I received one or more of the products mentioned above for review purposes. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.*





6 comments:

  1. Yes, I need this, our new house has little to no storage so this will be a big help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean we live in a very tiny apartment, so an y little bit helps.

      Delete
  2. Oh we were JUST talking about this today and my son and I agreed that on our next rainy day, we're going to tackle his bedroom - wish us luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! If it's anything like my son's you'll need it.

      Delete
  3. I like bins and boxed that I have decorated to store the toys and crafting projects of my grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat! Maybe I'll get my son to make one. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete